Friday, October 1, 2010

The Customer, The Service, The Appreciation

I recently sat down with a group of colleagues to discuss the upcoming Championship season. It’s important for us as Event Producers (just as it is for you, as Gym Owners) to be incredibly self-aware and brutally honest with ourselves when it comes to our Job Performance. Admitting a weakness (or ‘underdeveloped strength,’ as I like to refer to it) isn’t a sign of substandard performance. It’s a sign of maturity and honesty. If we went through life believing we were the best at EVERYTHING we did, then there would be no point in striving for perfection. I’m lucky to work alongside other individuals that value me for the employee I know I am and the employee I have yet to become.

If there’s one trait that I always felt came naturally to me, it would be my commitment to Customer Service and Appreciation. I truly appreciate every coach and gym owner that chooses one of my competitions for their schedule. Without them, I wouldn’t have a job or an opportunity to stay in the all star cheerleading world. The thought runs through my head constantly when talking to coaches on the phone, when setting up for NCA All-Star Nationals, and when interviewing teams for Varsity TV backstage.

One of my admitted ‘underdeveloped strengths’ though is the rapid pace at which I get things done when I’m excited or deep in thought. I walk fast, I talk fast, I think fast, and I eat fast. Some might say it makes me more efficient, but most others say it makes everyone around me nervous. It was brought to my attention that when I’m excited about work, I look at the ground, stare blankly at people, and say things that are indecipherable. Being ‘fast,’ isn’t customer friendly, at all.

I need to thank my coworkers for bringing this to my attention. I LOVE my customers, I APPRECIATE my customers. I THINK about them all the time. But do I tell them? No. I’m too busy being excited (and ‘fast’) that I don’t take the time to tell anyone ‘thanks’ for giving me a reason to be excited about my work.

I would imagine that many of you are in a similar situation right now. Teams are performing full-out during practice. Stress is mounting. Summer days are a thing of the past. Long gone are the days of practices ending early, squad socials, and staff retreats. The season is more stressful than ever.

But the truth is that Gym Owners appreciate that there’s even a reason to be busy. Being busy means there are kids in your program, there is a staff coaching on the floor, and there are families excited about competition season.

Have you been working so fast that you have forgotten to enjoy your job and share your enjoyment with those around you? I have. So, I’ve made it my goal this fall to not just THINK about Customer Appreciation, but to actually express it. At all events this season, I’m going to stop walking fast long enough to tell my Coaches and Gym Owners how much I appreciate their support. I’m also going to tell the staff at my events how much better my life is because they are good at what they do.

I challenge you to do the same at your gym this this month. Tomorrow night, don’t dodge the customers in the Parent Viewing Area with the difficult questions. Instead, stand in front of them and say ‘thanks’ for choosing your gym over the program down the street. And as you watch your coaches interact with their athletes, don’t just evaluate their ability to finish choreography by the deadline. Also be sure to praise them for their ability to motivate their athletes and get them excited for the season.

Consider that our Fall Challenge. We’ve always appreciated our customers, wanted what was best for them, and strived to offer the ultimate level of customer service. The only difference is that we are now going to actually express that sentiment out loud.

On that note… If I don’t get a chance to tell you in person this season (since I might walk by you at a competition, going 300 miles per hour with my head down), then let me say THANK YOU for choosing Varsity All Star and all of our brands this year. Thanks for the experiences you are bringing our young athletes. And thank you for giving me a reason to get excited about my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment